Damage BMW 3 Series (E46) Outdoor lighting
The dipped beam is permanently on when the ignition is on.
Side lights, high beam and direction indicators do not work.
There are three possible causes:
– Defective light bulbs.
– Damaged electrical wiring.
– Defective lighting control unit.
Replace the lighting control unit.
NOTE: The following guidelines are suggested as diagnostic guidance:
1. Check the light bulbs and power fuses (F9, F32, F106, F107).
2. Check the power supplies (contact switched on) and the masses of the lighting control unit (connector 54 black terminals).
3. Check whether the information (earthing) of the dipped beam / highway inverter reaches terminal 12 of the lighting control unit.
|Terminal||Correct value||Measured value|
|6 + Permanent (30)||12 V||12 V|
|9 + R (Radio ON)||12 V||12 V|
|15 + After-contact (15)||12 V||12 V|
|31 Mass (31)||← 1 Ω||0.3 Ω|
|32 Mass (31)||← 1 Ω||0.5 Ω|
|33 + Permanent (30)||12 V||12 V|
4. Power terminals 8 and 35 of the 54-pin connector of the lighting control unit and validate that the main beam lights come on.